Regaining the function of a missing tooth and restoring your beautiful smile has never been easier than with dental implants. Crafted to emulate natural teeth, these modern implants grant you confidence in both your appearance and oral activities; they truly are an ideal solution for anyone who lost their tooth due to decay, trauma, or periodontal disease.
Although dental implants are a reliable and durable solution for tooth loss, they require proper care to ensure longevity. To maintain your appearance and keep them in top condition, it’s essential to understand how to clean your implants properly. Neglecting oral hygiene can lead to painful outcomes like inflammation, discomfort, bone loss, and even peri-implantitis; however following these nine essential steps will help you maintain a healthy smile with long-lasting results!
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush – As soon as you get dental implants, it is crucial to solely use soft-bristled toothbrushes. Hard-bristled brushes can easily damage the enamel on your teeth and are especially hazardous for dental implants due to their ability to scratch the surface of an implant beyond repair. To ensure maximum protection, switch out your regular brush with a soft nylon one! Its pliable and gentle bristles will guarantee that your implants remain unscathed while giving them a thorough cleanse.
- Steer clear of abrasive toothpaste – To protect your implants from harm, use toothpaste designed for low abrasiveness. Regular toothpaste is often highly abrasive to remove plaque and stains, yet too much will break down the enamel and damage any dental implants you may have. Make sure to select one that reduces roughness so as not to cause any detriment!
- Floss Daily – Flossing is essential to removing food particles and plaque, which brushing can’t do. If you have dental implants, flossing becomes even more important! Plaque easily gathers around the implant site, so it’s crucial that you use an implant-friendly type of floss daily. Unwaxed tape or a similarly designed specific floss is ideal for this purpose; make sure to incorporate it into your routine every day!
- Maintain healthy oral habits – Brushing twice a day is an absolute must for dental implant care. To make sure your implants last, opt for products that will protect them such as soft-bristled toothbrushes and sensitive toothpaste while avoiding abrasive ingredients like baking soda, bleach, or chlorine cleansers. Additionally, to keep discomfort at bay we suggest steering clear of flavored oral hygiene items with potent tastes such as mint or cinnamon. By following these tips you’ll be set up for years of healthy smiles ahead!
- Avoid hard or sticky foods – If you have implants, try to refrain from eating hard food as this may potentially damage or break them. Sticky foods should also be avoided since they can accumulate around the implant and cause plaque buildup. More specifically, avoid consuming ice, hard candies, tacos with a crunchy shell, potato chips, carrots apples that are not cut up into smaller pieces (crusty bread too!), caramel items such as candy bars and lollipops along with dried fruits and steak. Similarly, watch out for hot water or dishes such as soups because these could alter your implants’ shape.
- Moderate your alcohol intake – Alcohol is not only full of sugar, which can have a negative effect on normal teeth; it also poses serious threats to dental implants. Drinking alcohol accelerates plaque buildup and hampers the healing process after implant surgery. That’s why it is essential to abstain from drinking any type of alcoholic beverage for at least six months post-dental implant procedure.
- Quit Smoking – Smoking is incredibly detrimental to your oral health. If you smoke, you expose yourself to a variety of severe issues such as tooth decay and even cancer. When it comes to dental implants, smoking slows down the healing process significantly; plus it aggravates and weakens the gums around the implant while staining them too! Don’t take these risks – make sure that your pearly whites remain healthy by keeping away from cigarettes.
- Create a habit of visiting your dentist periodically – Scheduling routine visits with your dentist is paramount to the wellness of your mouth. Going twice a year will not only help you keep plaque and tartar at bay, but it also allows for early detection of any potential issues. Moreover, if you have dental implants, these checkups are essential in confirming that everything is functioning correctly and without signs of peri-implantitis or harm.
- Get a mouthguard for teeth grinding – Bruxism, also known as teeth grinding, is a major problem that can have lasting impacts on both your regular teeth and dental implants. The strong force generated by bruxism puts extreme pressure on the implants which could lead to permanent damage. If you’ve been diagnosed with this condition then you must get a custom mouthguard from your dentist to protect them from further harm.
Need Dental Implants in Northridge or its nearby cities?
At All Family Dental Care, we understand the importance of having a healthy and beautiful smile. That’s why we specialize in dental implants as a permanent solution for missing teeth. Whether you’re missing one tooth or several, our state-of-the-art technology and techniques ensure your implant procedure is safe, efficient, and comfortable.
Our team of experts will work closely with you to determine the best treatment plan based on your individual needs and budget. We pride ourselves on using the latest advancements in implant dentistry to provide superior results that look and function like natural teeth.
If you’re looking for dental implants in Northridge CA or its nearby cities, look no further than All Family Dental Care. Contact us today to schedule an appointment and take the first step toward achieving the smile of your dreams!